Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Fit fixes and perfect V-necklines, my latest posts on the Craftsy sewing blog

It doesn't feel right (as someone who is not British) to say Happy Boxing Day since we don't have it as an official holiday here in the US. However there is something very appealing about having Dec. 26 as an actual holiday. Because after all, it is a holiday in just about everyone's mind - whether we have to go to work or not. I'm doing some serious lounging with a few bursts of tidying up. I gave the sewing room a good vacuuming, it's amazing how much dust and fuzz settles in every corner of a sewing space.

The past few days I have had a couple of new blog posts on the Craftsy sewing blog which I think might be useful to a lot of people so here are the links. Also there is a page listed above where I have links to every one of my Craftsy blog posts, subdivided into categories.

First one is my tips for sewing a smooth V-neckline, which can be really tricky in a tightly woven fabric or one that wants to stretch along the neckline. (link below image below)


Craftsy image V-neckline sewing




Next is my take on adjusting an existing dress. Sometimes you have a dress that just doesn't fit right or is not comfortable due to the fit. Check out my tips on adjusting the dresses you already have in your closet. 

Craftsy black dress with organza trim




Next up in my sewing is finishing a bunch of items that are in progress. Yet what I feel like doing is curling up on the couch and watching a movie. I think so. This is the time of year to relax and indulge. 

I'll be back soon with an year-end analysis of my sewing, which I like to do mostly for me, to see how what I sewed compares to what I actually planned to sew😉.

Happy Holidays and enjoy the leftovers - I know we are!

Beth

11 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Beth. Had a lovely boxing day yesterday here with friends. I like that Christmas day is a family day but then there is time to have a special day with special friends. Thanks for this V neck tutorial... I just made a tricky v neckline that stretched out on one side (annoying) and I just realised I didn't even stay stitch it??? I don't know why. Sometimes forging ahead is costly. I couldn't find the instructions in the envelope for the Burda dress so I forged ahead and forgot... doh! Hope you have a great 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas. Enjoy the last few days of the year. I can't wait to check out the V neck tutorial and look forward to the end of the year review post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely be reading the v-neck article. Thank you, Beth, and Merry December 26th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Beth, very helpful tutorials indeed.
    Hope you enjoyed the Christmas break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love and Pin or Bookmark your Craftsy tutorials, so helpful.

    Hey, don't forget Boxing Day is a holiday in Canada and New Zealand too! Thank goodness, this year we had our Christmas dinner on Boxing Day as the Husband had to work on the 25th.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does gathering the main fabric a teeny bit help on the v-neck? I have a couple patterns that suggest gathering in ~1/4”, which happens if I staystitch with a slightly higher tension. Is that a good thing? Or would I be better off not reducing that length?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Beth for reposting these tutorials - that one on the V neckline on Craftsy is fabulous (I've bookmarked that one!) Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones and all the best for 2018 :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always, thank you for your wisdom and helpful tutorials!!!! I have just gotten into sewing more V-necks, and will check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the excellent tutorials! I appreciate that you link them in your blog; I seem to have trouble finding what I'm looking for on Craftsy! I look forward to your year-end analysis. Your blog is one of my favorites - you inspire me with your awesome makes and your thoughts on all manner of sewing things! Happy 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing the great post and tutorials! I always look forward to your post. Happy sewing:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are interesting posts—thanks for sharing them. Wishing you and yours a Happy New Year! Abbey

    ReplyDelete